Monday, February 20, 2006

This spud's for you

With last week’s agriculture meetings behind me, now comes the hard work of making sense of the information gathered. I’ll probably have a couple of dozen pages of copy in hand by the time the writing’s all done, with assignments for British Columbia and Ontario publications leading the queue.

Fortunately, last week’s meetings allowed me to stock up on six varieties of potatoes that promise to sustain me through the writing to come. I'm looking forward to mashing up pots of Bintje, Desiree and Russian Blue spuds from Bill Zylmans’ farm in Richmond, and trying out Eramosa, Rose Gold and Sunbury potatoes that crop consultant Heather Meberg brought to the Pacific Agriculture Show. Meberg acquired the seed for her three varieties from two New Brunswick growers I interviewed while working in Fredericton from 1996 to 1998, so I’m especially looking forward to tasting them. Curious? You can find out more about most of the varieties from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Or, you can drop me a note to hear how they cook up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home