Monday, January 09, 2006

Winter reading

Rain falls as I write these words, pelting down relentlessly as it has for the past 18 hours or so. This morning I began reading Harry Thurston, A Place Between the Tides: A Naturalist’s Reflections on the Salt Marsh. Thurston’s observations of each month’s happenings in a remnant of the Tantramar Marsh of Nova Scotia are arranged by month. I plan to read each chapter as its month comes up, a practice I followed last year with David Helwig's book-length poem The Year One. A reflective style, wealth of detail and intimate warmth (even when describing the depths of winter) make both works an inspiration and an oasis in the midst of the hurly-burly of urban life.

My own work appears in the January issue of Western Investor, including a story originally published in Business in Vancouver on the uncertainty that roiled the income trust market in Canada last fall. The current issue of California trade magazine Wines & Vines features my report on the 2005 wine grape harvest in British Columbia. I’ve contributed this annual report to Wines & Vines since 2000, and always enjoy the chance to cover the B.C. wine industry. (Assignments are welcome!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Harry Thurston's writings are exquisite, and A Place Between the Tides is probably my favourite. I'm just starting work on a story about salt marshes for one of my markets, and am going to reread the book as a result. Can hardly wait!

I've just started reading White Salt Mountain, by Peter Sanger (Gaspereau Press). Interestingly, Peter was my first English prof, back in my long ago youth at the Agricultural College in Truro, NS. Four years ago I got to review Spar: Words in Place, another of Peter's books of essays, and that was a pretty neat twist of fate. (I gave him good marks, too!).

Nice blog, Peter. I think I like reading blogs better than I do the List. I'll drop in from time to time.

cheers, jodi

17/1/06 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home