Monday, February 06, 2006

Emigre, farewell

The past few days have given me a chance to read the final issue of Emigre, the graphic design journal that achieved notoriety in the 1990s as a brash upstart among design magazines. Emigre offered a contemporary, practical perspective on issues in the realm of publishing that first caught my imagination during work towards a bibliography of Robert W. Service. I also appreciated Emigre's reminders that creative work should be about more than making money, about honest expression rather than just filling orders. I will miss its offerings, especially given the infrequent appearance of Canada's own unique printing arts journal, Devil’s Artisan.

Honeycrisp apples have been on my mind lately thanks to interviews with Nova Scotia fruit growers last week regarding that province’s orchard replant initiative. Though I enjoy the distinctive crunch a Honeycrisp has when you bite into it, the flavours packed by the ones here in British Columbia are often too subtle for my liking. The woman who sold me one at Granville Island over the weekend agreed, saying she prefers a Braeburn, Fuji or Pink Lady to a Honeycrisp. I look forward to trying a Nova Scotia Honeycrisp next time I'm in the Maritimes.

For those keeping track, the article I wrote a few weeks ago regarding the Loreto Bay development in Mexico is in this month’s issue of Western Investor. This week, I am tackling a variety of pieces regarding the marketing of real estate as well as a feature on remaking a home to incorporate a rental suite. To find out more, contact me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home