Monday, April 19, 2010

Walla Walla


Given the number of favourite or at least oft-visited restaurants that have either burned down or shut in recent months (I think of Slickity Jim's, Koni and Annapurna Vegetarian Cuisine of India, as well as Kishu), I feel like my usual haunts are getting a shake-up. Which one will be next to go?

Well, there's always new places to discover: And not only in Vancouver, but elsewhere. With the Wine Bloggers Conference hitting Walla Walla, Washington in a couple of months, I don't mind mentioning some of the places that caught my attention when I was there in February (and it keeps my mind of the local losses).

Those include the Walla Walla Bread Co., where I not only picked up a couple of decent pastries, but enjoyed a good conversation with the owner. I had seen her in the window of the shop packing up bread on my first night in town, so it was nice to meet her in person. The shop is relatively new, but it takes pride in natural and local ingredients. The down-to-earth chat was one of the highlights of my visit to town this year.

The other stop was the Colville Street Patisserie, kitty-corner to the corner where I snapped the above photo (the less glamorous off-Main side of Walla Walla). Again, there were some good down-to-earth conversations taking place around me, but the place was definitely more upscale than your average coffee shop (say, the nearby Cookie Tree). Where else could I find a kouign amann?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home