Thursday, July 06, 2006

On newsstands now

A good chunk of my time between March and May was spent researching the list of the Top 100 companies in British Columbia for BC Business. This sort of project is always a monumental task, and I relish the challenge even as I dread the prospect of missing companies. And inevitably, some companies always go missing. This year's BC Business list boasts 16 companies that didn’t appear last year (some of which should have), so I am generally happy with the results.

This week, I’ve spent a great deal of time working on real estate, liquor and technology stories for Business in Vancouver and Vendor. I’ve got a new role with the latter, but I’ll save that tidbit for next week’s post.

And between it all, I’ve built up some momentum reading through Wislawa Szymborska, Poems, New and Collected: 1957-1997. I previously read Szymborska's collection View with a Grain of Sand, which was augmented for the edition I'm reading. I’m enjoying the refresher course – though, really, there is so much new that it is like discovering her work all over again. The stark quality of the material is often bracing; gently, lightly warming you even as it presents chilling scenarios. For example, Still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home